Worcester City Council provides essential services for over 95,000 residents. Working with the local community we aim to create a prosperous city and to improve the quality of life for everyone. Providing accessible, efficient and best value services are at the heart of everything we do.
The council has been a customer for over 5 years. We perform regular scanning of Planning, Building Control and TPO and Historic Environment files.
Various other projects completed include:
- Scanning of 4000 Event/Monument Backup Files. The Historic Environment Record (HER) requires that a high quality master TIFF file be produced of all archival material, together with a PDF file for everyday use. OCR processing was needed to enable text searching of reports.
- Scanning of 30 years worth of ‘The West Midlands Archaeology Journal’. The journals required non-destructive scanning as the volumes are mostly bound A4 (with some early ones on foolscap) and are of historical importance. Transmedia’s ProServ Scanntech book scanner was utilised for high quality imagery. The volumes were scanned at high resolution in colour, to multipage uncompressed TIFF for archival purposes and then converted to multipage OCR’d PDF/A for searchability and fast access.
- Regular scanning of Planning, Building Control, Street Indexes and TPO Files, which involves mixed mode colour and black and white paper scanning and numerous large format plans.
We have also provided:
- Scanning of 2 cabinets of combination microfiche over a 6 month period. Approximately 400,000 images from 16mm microfiche and 50,000 images from 35mm microfiche, scanned and indexed by the planning reference number printed on the fiche jacket. The images were supplied in TIFF format with CSV index file allowing for import into Worcester’s OCELLA document management system along with a second copy in searchable PDF format.
- There were also approximately 30,000 colour location plans which required scanning at 1200DPI from 35mm colour microfiche, before being GIS data captured.